How to update your AirPods and AirPods Pro
If you want to check which version your earbuds are running and then update them to the latest version, here's what you need to know.
How to check your AirPods' firmware
To check the version of firmware that's currently installed on your earbuds, follow the steps below:
- Launch the Settings app on your iOS device.
- Tap General.
- Tap About.
- Tap AirPods.
- Check the numbers next to Firmware Version.
How to update AirPods or AirPods Pro
New firmware is installed over the air while your AirPods or AirPods Pro are connected to an iOS device. Simply put them in their case, connect them to a power source, and then pair them to an iPhone or an iPad to force the update. That's it. After a bit, any available firmware updates should be automatically downloaded and installed.
If want to make sure your earbuds are up to date with the latest firmware, follow the steps below.
- Insert your AirPods or AirPods Pro into their case.
- Connect the charging case to a power source using the included Lightning to USB cable.
- Or, if you have a Wireless Charging Case, place it on a Qi-compatible wireless charging mat.
- Move the iPhone or iPad that the AirPods were paired with to the charging case.
- Note: Make sure the iOS device has an internet connection.